By ANY Means Necessary…

…I used to be that way with weight loss.  I would lose this weight anyway that I can…damned being healthy I just wanted to be skinny.  Cutting down calories as low as I could (blacking out?? weak?? No worries I was getting skinny) , taking laxatives (I was getting the hated food out) and throwing up.  I went through the not eating stage and called it fasting…I would exercise three four times a day doing two or three workout videos at a time.  Hell…I even walked for 5 miles as a warm-up before the 75 minute video sessions that I would do…seven days a week mind you.  I took weight loss pills…by any means necessary I would take the weight off and I would be skinny!!  Or would I??  As you can see this type of behavior didn’t work too well.  I was still overweight…now I was overweight, hungry, dizzy, and as a added plus waking up in the middle of the night with my heart racing.  I would literally have to jump out of bed…deep breathe and walk slowly with my arms raised above my head.  That was healthy…right??  But why wasn’t I skinny??
The only thing I was losing was my hair and my health.  I did lose the weight at first but I didn’t see myself as skinny and it was way too much work for me to continue on like that.  I was always miserable, hungry, tired, sick.  One day I just decided to say “Feck It!!  I’m gonna eat whatever I want and forget exercise!!”  That happened when I was in Germany and of course everyone saw the results.  I was starving myself…so I guess the binge eating was just a natural ending to the destructive path I was on.
I am glad that I found the Atkins book in the Bargain bin.  I was strolling through the PX and the book caught my eye…I read it from cover to cover.  I followed the diet and tweaked it to suit me…the difference this time was …I ATE!  I am never hungry and I feed myself.  I am healthy for the first time in my adult life.  No need for the extremes at all.
I am writing this because I have to stress this…eating is something that is necessary for weight loss.  Cutting back your calories to the bare minimum is not healthy.  Your body will go into starvation mode.  It will hang onto the weight like crazy and you will be miserable in the long run.   Going under 1000 calories a day is not good and going under 500 calories a day is setting yourself up for failure.  You may lose the weight at first…then you will stall…and then the binging will start.  Your body is smart…and it will do whatever it can to keep itself going.  I’m rambling…I know.  My mind is spinning because I can see the destructive behaviors out there…and the only thing I want to scream is…IS IT WORTH DYING FOR??  Look at your body like a car…a car will not go without fuel.  You can pimp it up…you can do all sorts of things to the outside to make it look good…but without fuel or a good engine it is useless.  A huge pimped out paperweight that will rot out over time.  I chose low carb because of my thyroid issues and my issues with starches.  I actually feel better on a high protein/low carb/moderate fat diet.  I do not count calories or fat grams.  It works for me.  That is how I loss my excess weight.  It may not be for everyone…but it is my personal magic bullet.
🙂
I return with a ranty post and I am sorry.  I just wish folks would realize that there is no one size fits all approach to weight loss.  If that was the case then we would all be thin. The magic bullet is within you…it just takes time to find it and to get to where you want to be.  No one gains 40/50/60 pounds overnight and it will not come off overnight.
I will return with another Billy post…I have been working out with him.  I just got caught up with life and reading a couple of sites in the low carb world.   Drama is everywhere…I can’t wait for things to get back to normal.
Later!

Advertisements

10 Comments

1. Lisa says:

Robin- I’m so glad you are saying all of this. I’ve been doing A LOT of thinking and A LOT of reading and soul searching. Several other bloggers are coming to the same conclusions that you are reaching.
    You know I did the Kimkins thing and while it worked for me, I always knew it wasn’t a long term solution. And I NEED for this to be a long term solution.
    So I decided to go back to basics. Took the Atkins book out of the library again and will likely be traveling down that road for the long haul.
    Oh, and I might be picking your brain about Tae Bo really soon if you don’t mind.

2. Robin says:

Pick away, Lisa. My brain does work sometimes…I swear by Taebo. I think it is the best workout ever. I did start off using Walk Away the Pounds though…so I have to give Leslie Sansone some props. She brought my fitness level up enough to get back into the swing of things with Billy.
    When I cannot imagine myself doing something for a long period of time then I know it isn’t something that I should be doing. There is something called “Rabbit Starvation”. It is when you eat a diet of high protein and almost no fat. It can kill you over the long run…you will get sick and die. That is the first thing that came to mind when I really looked over the Kimkins Plans. It is great to kickstart you along but over a period of time it will make you sick. That is the reason I am so against cutting out fat…and calories…and carbs. Might as well say I will not eat anything…a low everything diet just equals misery for me. I just feel it to be upsetting when someone is eating less than 500 calories a day…exercising…and still feels like a failure because their body is not cooperating with them and losing 5 pounds overnight. The fact that they can function on less than 500 calories a day is an achievement…I am not being a smart ass either.
    Whatever you decide to do…I am sure you are the best person to make that decision. Listen to your body…once I stopped ignoring this old bod that is when I succeeded in my efforts.

3. bellaluna says:

Hi Robin: I hit my own End of Kimkins moment this weekend, when I was so nauseated I could hardly stand up. Then, surprise, surprise, I had a bingefest yesterday, despite all my good intentions. Felt so horrible that I even took down my blog (stupid because two hours afterwards, I started a new one…must need to chronicle this journey for some reason). Think I’m going to do Atkins instead, starting today, inspired by your success! (And I love Tae Bo, too ~ used to do it before I had kids and felt so strong and centered! I had the VHS versions…don’t know what happened to them when we moved. Perhaps some digging is in order.) Anyway, just wanted to say Right On with your last post, and thanks for being an inspiration!

4. luna says:

By the way, do you like the Low Carb Friends messageboards? Or have you tried the Low Carber Forums? Any thoughts?

5. Robin says:

I check out the Low Carb Friends Forums and there is a wealth of information there. I rarely post anything though…I leave all my talking to this blog. Everyone on the messageboard seems to be really friendly…but I like to keep my lurker status. I guess this is where my shyness comes in. 🙂
    I am so sorry that you crashed like you did. It is the only logical conclusion to eating low everything. Your body did what it had to do to get what it needed. Pick the plan that is right for you…something that will make you feel great. You can even do Kimkins…just add back the fat…add some calories…some veggies…drop the “Kim” and add “At”. The perfect diet (in my opinion) 🙂 . If you are miserable on a plan then you are destined to fail. It is good to know that there is another Taebo Junkie out there…if you have done it before then you know just how good the results are…
    I am just happy to know that someone is looking at my mistakes…learning…and doing what is best for them. I would have NEVER EVER admitted to having an eating disorder…but after reading the Kimkins Plan and seeing the path that most of the people on the diet was leading…I decided to say something. I really didn’t think that I had any problem…and I know for a fact that most of the people consuming 200 calories a day don’t think they have one either…
    Sigh

6. McCormick says:

I’m glad you posted this. This is an enlighten point of view from some seasoned dieter. I wish more people would post stuff like this more often, because not only is it encouraging, but damn it’s the truth.

7. McCormick says:

i meant to say ‘a seasoned dieter’.. i hope you’re not offended. I haven’t had a chance to read all the comments yet, but this really struck a chord with me.

8. Robin says:

I’m not offended at all…I knew what you meant. This has been bothering me for a long time. I actually felt ripped off when I paid for the access to the site after I actually had a chance to look at the plans. This is a ugly truth within me and it is something that I had to look at before I was able to embark upon a healthy way of living. It just made me upset to see that there was actually a place where people (myself included) paid money to get bad advice. I told my Momma about the diet…I sent it to a friend. I just hope they have read the blog and can see how serious I am when I say that YOU MUST EAT! I cannot stress enough how dark the place is that they are travelling towards if they follow this diet as written. Or even worse discover the diet behind the diet. It is intoxicating to lose…but even more devastating to not lose. It is a terrible cycle that you fall into that will make you feel worthless and sick at the end.
    If my sharing my past helps just one person then I feel good that I wrote about this. Life is precious…a gift and NOTHING is worth risking it. Especially the quest to be skinny…trust me nothing changes. You still have the same hang- ups and problems…you are just wearing a smaller size while dealing with them.

9. sassafras says:

Hey Robin ~ You have *definitely* helped other people! I’ve switched to Atkins and am pretty excited. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and advice!
    ~ Sassafras (trying out a new name because “Luna” was already taken on the LCF) 🙂

10. Robin says:

Thanks Luna/Sassafras…I like both names. 🙂 I am glad that I am helping people. I hope I am helping anyway…
    You will rock on Atkins (or any other plan you decide)…I know this. I will check out LCF to see if I see you on the board. I basically read the posts and absorb the knowledge. It is funny…I have so much to say on my blog but when I am in a forum I clam up.

Comments are closed.